Monday, June 14, 2010

Week Four: Training

Day twenty-nine, and all is well.

It is with mixed feelings I announce that, for all intents and purposes, the first third of my twelve-week pre-contest preparation is (thankfully) done, while two-thirds (frighteningly) remains.  Essentially, one month down, two to go.

For those of you keeping score at home, here's how my bodyweight has progressed from the start of the prep (though I weigh myself almost every day in an attempt to learn more about my body as well as compare my progress to my previous pre-contest preps, my "official" weigh-ins take place each Monday morning):

Day 1: 162.6 pounds
Day 8: 154.2 pounds
Day 15: 152.2 pounds
Day 22: 149.8 pounds
Day 29 (today): 148.4 pounds

If this means that I am victorious in my usual "War with One-Fifty" (typically when dieting for a show, my body seems to race towards one-hundred-fifty pounds, then kinda hangs out there for a week or better), then color me thrilled.  Once I have officially vanquished the 150-pound barrier (and make no mistake, despite weighing in less than 150 two "official weigh-ins" in a row, I might not be out of the woods, yet), gains seem to come fast and furious for me.  I'll keep you posted!

In any event, Week Four was marked by another round of solid workouts! Let's get to the nuts and bolts, shall we?

Sunday, June 6: Quads and Abs (A)

1) Squats (descending depth), 2 warm-ups, 6 sets of 3-5 reps

Barbell Squats.

2) Hack Squats (with barbell), 4 sets of 4-6 reps

 
Barbell Hack Squats, start and finish.

3) Hanging Leg Raises, 3 sets of 5 reps
4) Decline Leg Raises, 3 sets of 10 reps
  • A-workouts are of the lowest intensity, usually using a 5 x 5 set/rep scheme for my primary muscle group, going as heavy as I can for five reps, and using ample rest time (approximately three minutes between sets).  
  • When using "descending depth" squats, the first set after the warm-up and stretch is my heaviest set, and my thighs reach a depth just above parallel (I squat back until my butt lightly touches a stack of seven aerobic step risers that assure the proper height).  For my next set I remove ten pounds from the bar as well as one riser.  So, although the weight is lighter, the squat is deeper, and more difficult.  By the time I hit my sixth set, I am squatting all the way down to a stack of just two risers (see video below).
     
  • My sets of abdominal exercises were performed in a "staggered" manner, meaning I squeezed them in between sets of squats and hack squats in an effort to save time.
    Monday, June 7: Chest and Shoulders (C)

    1) Incline Dumbbell Presses, 1 warm-up, 3 sets of 4-6 reps (final set as a strip-set) 

         (2-4 performed as a tri-set, with no rest between each)
    2) Flat Dumbbell Bench Presses, 3 sets of 5-6 reps
    3) Incline Push-ups, 3 sets of 5-6 reps
    4) Pec Deck, 3 sets of 20 reps

    5) Incline Lateral Raises, 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    6) Rear Dumbbell Lateral Raises, 3 sets of 20 reps
    7) Alternating Overhead Dumbbell Presses, 3 sets of 12 reps
    • The final set of dumbbell incline presses were performed as a strip set, meaning I went to failure with a weight that allowed six reps, then immediately went to failure with dumbbells ten pounds lighter, and went to failure once more with dumbbells ten pounds lighter, still.
      Wednesday, June 9: Back and Hamstrings (C)

           (1 & 2 performed as a superset, with no rest between each)
      1) Lying Leg Curls, 3 sets of 20 reps (with a peak contraction on each rep)
      2) One-Legged Back Extensions, 3 sets of 10-12 reps

      3) Glute-Ham Raises (negative reps only), 3 sets of 5 reps

           (4-6 performed as a tri-set, with no rest between each)
      4) Top-half Deadlifts, 3 sets of 5-6 reps
      5) Supported T-Bar Rows, 3 sets of 10-12 reps
      6) Wide Grip Pulldowns, 3 sets of 20 reps
      • Top-half Deadlifts (a.k.a. Rack Pulls) are deadlifts performed in a power rack, with the pins set so that each rep begins right around knee level.
      Thursday, June 10: Biceps and Triceps (B)

           (1 & 2 were performed as a superset, with no rest between each)
      1) J.M. Press, 1 warm-up, 4 sets of 5-6 reps
      2) Incline Dumbbell Hammer Curls, 1 warm-up, 4 sets of 5-6 reps

           (3 & 4 were performed as a superset, with no rest between each)
      3) 90-Degree Preacher Curls, 3 sets of 10-12 reps
      4) Lying Barbell Tricep Extensions (a.k.a. "Headbangers), 3 sets of 10-12 reps

           (5 & 6 were performed as a superset, with no rest between each)
      5) EZ-Bar French Presses, 3 sets of 10-12 reps
      6) EZ-Bar Reverse Curls, 3 sets of 10-12 reps

           (7 & 8 were performed as a superset, with no rest between each)
      7) Cable Preacher Curls, 3 sets of 20 reps
      8) 3-Part Rope Pushdowns, 3 sets of 21 reps

      That arm workout concluded my training for the week.  As always, I am eager to read any thoughts, suggestions, constructive criticisms, questions, or anything else.  Thanks for reading!

        2 comments:

        1. * I love the 5x5 idea! Lately I've been adding extra weight but still doing three sets, jsut fewer reps.
          * I've noticed on many of your exercises you mention 1-2 warm-ups. I'm completely unfamiliar with that concept - is it basically one rep at the weight you'll be using? "Hey, body of mine, here's what we're about to do..."
          * 90-degree Preachers vs. standard...is there a difference, or just personal preference?
          * I'm still doing a "total body" workout 3x per week, but debating going back to training body parts once per week. Any thoughts on that?
          * You mentioned the veins in your arms being more pronounced...is that an indication of low body fat, increased muscle, or something else?
          * I've learned a new word: ectomorph. I've also learned I'm NOT one. LOL
          * One last general question - do bodybuilders generally retain muscle mass after contests? I know body fat increases, but haven't seen anything re: muscle mass.

          ReplyDelete
        2. It depends on the bodypart. If it's one of my muscle groups that warms up rather quickly and I don't use especially heavy weight on (for example, biceps), my warm-up will likely consist of just one light set of twelve reps. When doing something heavy involving a ton of muscle (say, squats or deadlifts), I'll do two progressively heavier (yet still light) warm up sets of six reps, as well as plenty of stretching. For example, when doing deadlifts I'll start with 135 for six reps, wait a minute, or so, and then do another six reps with 225 before moving on to my "work sets". I eschew the really high-rep warm-up sets of 15 or 20 reps that some guys do, simply because I simply want the muscle warmed up--NOT FATIGUED--before starting my work sets.

          I use both the standard and 90-degree preacher benches. They're very similar in that they isolate the belly of the biceps quite intensely and prevent a lot of cheating. I feel the 90-degree variation hits the bis more directly and takes the forearms a bit more out of the equation. However, because gravity is REALLY working against me in this one, I can't use as much weight. They're both great. Bear in mind that neither one adds "peak" to your biceps, in spite of what many may tell you.

          Steve Reeves used and advocated three weekly total-body workouts throughout most of his career, and his physique is legendary! Provided you're using multi-joint exercises that are hitting the most muscle in the least amount of time, I say stick with those.

          Vascularity (the prominence of veins) depends on a lot of things. Much of it is genetic, but it's typically the case that the leaner you get, the more veiny you get. By show day I've got veins poking out in my arms, chest, lower abs, thighs, shoulders, and maybe some other places that I don't even notice! There is GREAT debate over the best way to make your veins pop on the day of the contest. Different guys swear by different products and approaches, and some guys insist you're completely at the mercy of your body. The truth likely lies somewhere in between, as it usually does in most things.

          Hardly anyone is PURELY one bodytype. Most everyone is a combination of a couple, though one will be dominant over the other. For example, you can see the ectomorph in me in my narrow shoulders, relatively wide hips, small joints, small muscle bellies, and difficulty in putting on mass. However, my natural metabolism is nowhere NEAR what is normally associated with ectomorphs.

          Given all the extra calories, nutrients, and bodyfat padding the joints, provided you're training hard and getting proper rest, muscle mass should definitely INCREASE after a show! Most guys agree the weeks right after a contest is your greatest "window of opportunity" to put on quality muscle.

          ReplyDelete